Thursday, July 23, 2009

Poem - The Night and Me

The Night and Me


It comes with the night.

It does,

The muse.


The fuse ignites. . .


The silence does

Its deeds inside.

It needs the night,

And so do I.


I have to be there

When they come,

Connections

In their thrumming,

Drumming,

To the different hums.


I have to hear them coming.


Words on little cat feet,

As Frost expressed the fog.

Yes, fog it is

Enfolding, holding onto

Rhythms, warm and cold,

Flowings coming, swift and slow.


I have to be there,

Hear them clearly,

Share the air

They echo,

Bend my neck

To catch them,

Turn my ear

To hear them,

Net them,

Let them

Be consumed.


I am

Eater of words,

Digesting, testing,

Resting here,

To find the meter,

Hear them,

In the bright of night

To hear their light

To give them sight.


I need to be here,

Hearing them,

Feel them waking,

Meet arrival,

Taking note

Of what they wrote

Upon the night.


If I’m not here,

How can they live,

If I’m not here?


I welcome them,

Sometimes in glee,

Sometimes in tears,

No, never fears -

The gifts of them

In gratitude

They give me life,

My latitude.

I’m blessed they’ve

Not sent platitudes.


...Their life forms

Striving to be born,

Words flow foglike

In pre-morn.

Night is when

They come to life,

To take to sea,

A-scrambling down

From nest to surf -

The turtle words

That come to me.

Eager life forms,

Trusting me

That they can swim

Unnumbered free,

Unencumbered

Gleefully.


I bow to them,

They know it, too.

They bow to me.

We know it’s true.

They simply love me,

Want to hug me,

In our rugby

Game of glee,

Roughly tumbling,

Tackling free,

Muddy buddies

Joying to be

Wrestling, whistling,

Quietly,

When nighttime comes -

And they to me.


Oh, dead of night,

I worship thee.

What would I do -

What could I do –

With none of you,

Without

The din of you,

The fun of you,

The want of you,

The fount of you?

Oh, dead of night,

I bow to you.


Written this,

One dead of night -

Early Spring,

Two Thousand Nine...


Copyright © 2009

No comments: