Friday, October 02, 2009

My Heart is a Grenade - Poem

My Heart is a Grenade


My heart is a grenade,
And the pin's been in it for too long.
I've carried it
On a bandolier where its been all along,
Against my breast,
Where it rises with heartbeat and breath,
And where, I confess,
It's been for far too long unblown.


I sit beside the road
Of love, where I have marched along
And wondered when,
Or if the road does really go somewhere.
Again and again,
Eyes closed, I’ve heard the pairs go by,
Around the bend
And o'er the hill, till only stillness stays.

The wood is near.
It stands behind me, morn and eve.
Besides the beating
Of my heart, it's the only friend I have.
The sun, the dust,
Which both might be the friends of me
Have for so long
Become themselves my enemies.

Alone I sit,
Alone I stand, alone I fret,
Awaiting for
The woman who might get me yet.
With bated breath,
I've stood beside the road for her to come
And sighed inside
At those who've come and gone,

Releasing them
When they've not blown my soul grenade.
I apologize
For all flirtations sent or made,
Then waved goodbye,
And settled back upon my roadside rock.
They've all been nice,
But not enough to set my heart on fire.


Alone I sit,
Alone I stand, alone I fret,
Awaiting for
The woman who might get me yet...


Copyright 2009 Steve Garcia

No comments: